Windows 10 Creators Update has arrived
The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update rolled out Oct 17, 2017.
If you have not already updated to the Fall Creators Update, you can’t put it off any longer. And frankly, you shouldn’t. Microsoft introduced named versions of Windows 10, signifying major releases to the operating system that advance the way it looks, performs, and adds new features. Each version has a code name and a marketing name for easier recognition. The Fall Creators Update, version 1709, codenamed “Redstone 3”, is the fourth major update to Windows 10 and the third in a series of updates planned under the Redstone codenames. It carries the build number 10.0.16299. The first preview was released to Insiders on April 7, 2017, and the final release was made available to Windows Insiders on September 26, 2017, followed by a public release on October 17. Microsoft is working on the next version, Redstone 4 due for release in early 2018.
To check to see if you are running the latest version of Windows, type in winver into the Cortana search box and press enter. This box will pop up and you want to see Version 1709 Build 10.0.16299 showing. If you do not, you need to update your version of Windows.
New features in the Fall Creators Edition
- Windows Mixed Reality – plugin VR headsets and connect with a wide variety of apps to experience virtual reality in under 15 minutes.
- Mixed Reality Viewer – using Remix3D.com community or your own creation from Paint 3D, bring your creation to life with this app.
- Photos – now add text, filters and 3D effects. Join pictures and videos with music, transitions and themes.
- My People – pin your top people to your taskbar to send them a Skype or Mail message without opening the apps and share files with a drag and drop or Share picker. Emoji’s pop up and animate when they are sent to you.
- Cortana – you can now ask Cortana to shut down, restart, or sleep your PC
- Microsoft Edge – downloaded books from the Store can be annotated, pin your favourites to the taskbar, edit the URL of your favourites, and now experience full screen with F11!
- Microsoft Store – now unified across the website, Windows and XBox.
- Security – Windows Defender Exploit Guard protects against several well known persistent ransomware campaigns and Windows Defender now uses cloud protection service.
- Stay productive – forward pages on your phone to open on your computer, connect your android to your PC and streamline it, access your OneDrive files on demand, advanced options for you PC Pen, new PDF functions, a currency converter, improve battery performance, and Microsoft Account password reset at the login screen.
- Accessibility – new eye control using a compatible eye tracker, new feature to screen reader to generate missing image descriptions, and a new Dictate function using cloud-based intelligence and modern-day speech recognition.
- Tips – new tip apps helps you maximize Windows 10 and helps you know more about the Fall Creators Update
- PC Gaming – toggle Game Mode from the Game bar, Mixer broadcasting loads and starts faster, new XBox networking help options, new GPU monitoring in the Task Manager
- Start Menu – improved resizing and new transparency option
- Action Centre – new layout and design places notifications in boxes grouped by apps
- Emojis – holding down the Windows flag key on your keyboard and tapping the . (period) key will bring up the new dedicated Emoji panel that includes a search function.
If you are experiencing errors and difficulties updating Windows, give us a call at 250-382-0424 and we can help resolve that for you!